Thursday, November 11, 2010

Reasoning

Reasoning by analogy:
Premise 1: There are only 4 members of my family
Premise 2: My mom golfs
Premise 3: My brother golfs
Premise 4: I golf
Premise 5: My dad golfs
Conclusion: Every person in my family golfs.

Sign Reasoning:
I was driving to a very important job interview that I was going to be on time for.  On the freeway my tire popped.  I needed to get to that interview on time, so I changed my tire.

The conclusion here is that BECAUSE I popped my tired, I NEEDED to change it to be on time to my interview.

Casual Reasoning:
Last weekend the Oakland Raiders played at home.  The Raiders scored a touchdown.  Therefore, the crowd cheered and went crazy.

Reasoning by Criteria:
If you were trying to rally interest in prop 19, instead of saying: "Prop 19 is important"
One should say: "Let's discuss both sides of prop 19 with ways to check all facts and evidence"

Reasoning by example:
You want Mrs. X as your teacher? I wouldn't choose her, I have a lot of friends who have told me about how mean of a teacher she is.  They say she grades really hard and unfair.  I also read the reports from ratemyprofessor.com and they all say she is mean.  You should not choose her as your teacher.

Inductive:
Every night I can look up and see stars.  Therefore, this night when I look up I will see stars.

Deductive:
Every night I can look up and see stars.  I am in the middle of a desert miles away from civilization where no light pollution can affect me.  I am under no roof, therefore when I look up I will see stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment